WHEELCHAIR FRIENDLY TRAVEL IN SOUTH AFRICA
In the past travel by means of wheelchairs was only a dream. Today people in wheel chairs can experience the same travel enjoyment as able-bodied people. However it is advisable that you plan your travel arrangements through one of the many approved wheel chair travel agencies. These agencies have spent a great deal of time and finance in making wheelchair travel in South Africa pleasurable, enjoyable and stress free. They have explored the wheel chair accessibility of accommodation venues including an assortment of backpackers in Cape Town, various tours and even transport availability. These agencies go to great lengths in order to make your trip as memorable and exiting, so that you can enjoy the beauty of the numerous South African destinations.
Wheelchair Friendly Accommodation
Here are some of the accommodation options available throughout South Africa from Hotels, Guest Houses, Game Lodges, Self Catering and Bed & Breakfasts.
Hotels that offer available wheelchair friendly accommodation
- Valverde Country Hotel which is situated 8, 5 Km from the Lanseria Airport and 9, 5 Km from the Lion Park.
- Protea Hotel located on a farm setting with a country feeling nearby the Crocodile and Ostrich Farms in Oudtshoorn.
- De Noordhoek Lifestyle Hotel and is situated at the base of Chapmans Peak, Cape Town falling into the Table Mountain National Park
Guest Houses with wheelchair friendly accommodation
Country Park Guest House is in Muldersdrift near Krugersdorp. It offers the following amenities for wheelchairs:
- Tar and Paved Driveways
- Parking bay for wheelchairs
- Access on concrete path to the swimming g pool
- Accessible room with king size bed
- A ramp to enter the room with sliding door
- A 7 sq. bathroom
- Shower seat
- Grab rails
- When entering the shower there is no step
- The bathroom has a sliding door
- The hand basin has access for wheelchair
Lancaster Guest House in Craighall Park which has an Earth Room that is wheelchair friendly containing grab handles in the shower and next to the toilet.
Western Cape :
Ashanti Backpackers in Cape Town is one of the most established backpackers in the Mother City with an impeccable track record. Ashanti also owns two guesthouses close-by for for families or clients looking for something a little more private and exclusive.
Rosedene Lodge in Sea Point has 90% of the rooms on ground level, which makes access to the rooms with a wheelchair possible. One of the rooms is fitted with hand rails in the bathroom.
LovanE Wine Estate and Guest House is located on a wine estate near Stellenbosch. The guest house has one available room that is wheelchair friendly, and provides the following:
- Room has access to a veranda with a ramp
- There is a parking space right in front of the room to allow easy access from the car
- Shower is wheelchair friendly
Vermont Guest House lies only 8 Km from Hermanus and offers the disabled person wheelchair friendly accommodation.
- There is a lift to the front door
- Roll in showers
- All the footpaths around the guest house are wheelchair accessible
Ithala Game Reserve found 400 Km north of Durban has numerous self-catering chalets that have wheelchair friendly facilities. They also offer a cook on request.